Saturday, February 28, 2009

Day 3 and 4, Shanian Twain in Ghana

Side note: as I walk into the schoolhouse to check email, there is a Ghanian laying outside blasting Shania Twain. Apparently they LOVE American country music!

2.27.09
Friday…
Yesterday was a clinic day. The 6 doctors (3 full time missionaries, 1 ER MD and the medical resident (Jen) and medical student (Tim)) saw about 500 people- everything from newly diagnosed, advanced cancers to malaria. I worked in the pharmacy from 7:30AM until 5PM, pre-packing commonly prescribed amounts of drugs (95 degrees and no AC in the pharmacy… I almost passed out a few times…I am being dramatic, it was fine…probably just jet lag)! I stopped at Holly’s house (wife of Dr. Dickenson- the new OB/GYN who will be here for the next 2 years) to talk and pray for a second. She is such a godly woman and very encouraging.

I felt a little discouraged and that I wasn’t really making an impact; there seems to be very little place for a licensed pharmacist on the mission field- the drugs are limited and all of the doctors have a copy of the formulary, so they aren’t even asking questions about substitutions. This was a great day to exercise Colossians 3:23 “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.” As I sat in my broken chair and counted Tylenol into church envelopes being recycled as pill bottles, I thought “maybe I should go to PA school instead of doing a residency.” I only have until Friday to certify or delete my rank list and I am really expecting the Lord to either confirm or change the way I feel!

Crazy people…
So there was a group here from Fairhope, AL and they are a little “different.” One read my ADPi t-shirt and said “ohh, ADPi- I was a Gamma Phi…they only let beauty queens in ADPi” and later interrupted the conversation of the table with “my favorite Bible verse is ‘I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me,’” followed by a long silence. She was truly manic- could not stop talking and made lots of offensive remarks (like when a couple mentioned they looked at a residency in Utah “Utah! Why would you want to move there with all of those mormons!”). Their group was doing VBS and church services in remote villages, I know they meant well. I was especially sensitive considering my house mate is not a Christian and later remarked “I think there are two types of people who do missions, those with a skill like a doctor and those who are crazy.” I apologized on their behalf.

Our little house….
I love our house: Guest House 6. It has a common room/dining room, a kitchen, 4 bedrooms, and 2 large sleeping porch rooms (one for guys, one for girls). The couple from University of South AL left Friday, so only myself, Jen, and Tim are staying in the house. No AC, but plenty of windows and ceiling fans and western style plumbing. We even have a microwave and refrigerator/freezer…all luxuries considering other houses in Nalerigu are made of mud! We also have a cook who knows lots of American recipes- we had homemade (like, from scratch!) pizza last night and woke up to fresh bread this morning. There are 9 houses total on the 500 acre medical center compound, some for the missionaries and some for guests.

2.28.09
Running mates…
I have the weekends off, so when Tim and Jenn left for rounds I went for a little run. I was ready to stop after about 10 minutes thanks to the dry air and the 86 degree 8AM heat, but was joined by a little boy. He said hello, and I asked if he would like to run with me. Then his friend came, then three girls started running behind us. I tried to stop, but they weren’t tired yet! Sweet babies, their body odor was strong enough to be smelled even upwind from them!

I spent the rest of the morning reading (I brought Beth Moore’s “Esther” study and got her group sessions from iTunes) and waiting like a stay at home wife for Jenn and Tim to get back and make plans for the day. We are mostly relaxing and are planning to go into “town” (Nalerigu) tonight for the market and dinner.

Purpose…
In the last few months, as I have thought and prayed and fasted over what I should do post-May, the Lord has given me scripture and many wise advisors. This has continued in Ghana, and I would like to share some examples as I think they are profound!
· Dr. Ford (Birmingham) “Spend your time getting to know God, as you learn more about who He is, he will teach you more about who you are and refine His purpose for you. I am 50 years old and I feel like I am just now discovering my purpose.”
· Mom: “You will know when you need to know”
· Elizabeth Elliot: “A strong spiritual principal is this: pray through things, think about them in the presence of God, and stick with the decision” “Don’t dig up in doubt what you planted in faith” “Do what God tells you to do now, and depend on it- God will show you what to do next”
· David Platt: (paraphrased) “Christians ask so often, ‘what is God’s will for my life, what is my purpose?’ He has very clearly stated it in scripture ‘Go into all nations making disciples and baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.’ That is your purpose, Christian: go in to all nations and make disciples.
· Random lady on the airplane to Ghana, quoting from her pastor: “Your gift is what you have in your hand right now, you use it and it takes you to your purpose.”
Some scripture on "purpose:"
o 2 Corinthians 5:5, 9; Psalm 90:12; Galatians 6:15; Philippians 2:13; 1 Timothy 2:7; Isaiah 61:1
And "direction:"
o Psalm 31:4; Job 23:10; Isaiah 52:12, 55:8-13; Jeremiah 29:11-12; Proverbs 3:5, 23:18, 20:24, 16:9; Hag 1:5; Luke 11:13; Matthew 6:25, 6:33; Habakkuk 1:5, 2:3; Hosea 14:9; Lamentations 3:22-33; Daniel 2:23, 10:12; Job 42:2

Some prayer requests:
· That I would be diligent to be in intimate communication with the Holy Spirit
· That I would be “wise in the way I lived toward outsiders”
· That I would become “all things to all people, that some may be saved”

1 comment:

  1. I was so thankful to get to talk for a second this morning. All day I have been picturing you running with 5 little kids following! It has made me smile all day! Clint and I are praying for you. We love you!

    ReplyDelete